Thursday, May 24, 2012

Summer Squash Salad


With the temperature rising outside, I'm pretty sure you too feel its way to hot to be slaving over the stove!!  This Fun Summer Squash Salad is easy, refreshing and perfect for all appetites.  My kids love the Salami and Pepperoni and I love that I can get them to Eat Vegetables!! I have been making this recipe for years, ask me where I found it? Honestly I think I saw it on the cover of a food magazine and thought to myself, "Seems easy enough, I can do that!" So now... maybe you will too?

Ingredients Include: 
1 box Ronzoni Smart Taste Spaghetti 
2 Fresh Zucchinis; scrubbed and diced
2 Fresh Summer Squash; scrubbed and diced
3 Roma Tomatoes; pitted and diced
1/2 c Asiago Cheese; diced
10 slices of Salami diced
15 slices of Pepperoni diced
1 c Bernsteins Light Cheese Fantastico Dressing
1T  dried Italian herbs
Salt/Pepper

First, In a medium sized soup pot I begin to bring mildly salted water to a boil. Since this pasta takes a little longer than normal pasta (about 10 minutes al dente), I add the pasta to the pot. While this is on I begin to dice all the vegetables and cheese. Place diced all vegetables and cheese to a medium-large salad bowl, sprinkle herbs, a pinch of salt/pepper and 1/4 c of dressing. 

Secondly, start chopping meats and add to bowl. Spaghetti should be al dente by this time, drain and allow to cool completely. You dont want to melt your cheese!!! Once Spaghetti has cooled, toss in salad bowl and add another 1/4 c of dressing. Toss your noodles and vegetable mix until all ingredients are coated. Chill until ready to serve.

Since pasta absorbs the dressing quickly, I only use half of dressing to begin and when I'm ready to serve I add the remaining amount of dressing. 

Serving Size: 1 c. Recipe serves about 6 people. Calories=500 per serving this recipe. 
Original recipe Calorie Count=1,064 per serving.

What changed you ask? I simply found if I cut the amount of salami and pepperoni used in half (due to fat content), switched from normal recipe dressing to light (cut calorie intake by Half), doubled up my vegetables and made the smart move to switch our pasta choice from original recipe to one that has more fiber content (smart move for picky kids) and honestly doesn't taste any different. 

At the end of the day... Mom gets a Gold Star!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment